Active Time: 20 minutes • Total Time: 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 - 5 ounce packages Earthbound Farm Baby Spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional) or crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Recipe from Homemade
In a large, deep saute pan or saucepot over medium high heat melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the spinach, waiting until some of it begins to wilt down to add more if needed. Saute for 5 to 7 minutes or until the spinach is cooked down and the liquid has evaporated from the pan. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until the garlic is aromatic. Transfer the cooked spinach to a strainer set over a bowl and set aside.
Return the pan or pot to medium heat. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Once the butter is melted add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 or 4 minutes. Slowly whisk in the half and half, one quarter at a time, whisking constantly to prevent any lumps.
Stir in the nutmeg and cook until it has thickened to nappe (it coats the back of a spoon). Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan and cayenne. Squeeze out any excess moisture from the cooked spinach before adding it to the sauce. Taste and season with salt and pepper, along with cayenne, as needed.
*This can be made 2 days ahead of time. Cool and cover the top directly with plastic wrap so it doesn’t form a skin. Reheat on the stove, adding a splash of half and half or milk if needed to loosen it up.