Vegan BLT Salad
Active Time: 10 minutes • Total Time: 10 minutes
Yields: 2-4 Servings
- 1 Bag Organic Romaine Hearts
- 1 Loaf of your favorite artisan bread
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 package tempeh (about 8 oz.)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce, if you prefer)
- lime wedge
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sometimes all your want is a big bowl of delicious plants! That’s where the Plant-based BLT comes in. (Tempeh) Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and croutons combine for one epic combo. Serve it as a protein-packed main or a side. This recipe was made in partnership with Mother Raw, makers of delicious organic and plant-based dressings.
Make the Maple Tempeh “Bacon”:
1. Slice the block of tempeh into strips. Mince the garlic, squeeze in the lime and add to a bowl along with maple syrup, balsamic, tamari and olive oil. Mince the garlic clove and place in a medium bowl. Add the tempeh to the bowl and toss well. Marinate for 15 minutes.
2. In a large nonstick skillet at medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil. Add tempeh to skillet and cook until browned on both sides. Save the marinade and add periodically as the tempeh is cooking for extra moisture and flavor. Cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side.
How to Make Killer Croutons (Prep in less than 5 minutes):
Cut your bread of choice into cubes or tear it into bite-size pieces. Toss with 1 tbsp of the olive oil, the garlic powder, and salt; bake in the toaster oven or a 350-degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until browned and crisp.
TIP: While you’re at it, make extra croutons and let cool completely, then transfer them to an airtight container for later use. This is an especially great use for leftover bread that’s gone dry. Talk about a tasty way to reduce food waste!
Make the Salad:
Once tempeh is cooked, you’re ready to plate! Chop up the avocado and arrange romaine, tempeh, cherry tomatoes and croutons in a big bowl. Drizzle with Ranch dressing and dig in!