The New York New York Salad Board
Active Time: 30 minutes • Total Time: 80 minutes
- 1 (5oz) box Earthbound Farm Organic Power Greens
- ¼ pound pastrami, thinly sliced
- ¼ pound smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- ½ potatoes, cooked until fork tender & thinly sliced
- 3 cups rye bread, cut or torn into cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- ½ bunch of radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 big of 2 small cucumbers, sliced into ribbons
- 1 cup tomatoes, whole, sliced or cut into rounds
- optional accoutrement: pickles, olives, caper berries
- flaky sea salt & freshly cracked pepper
- For the Cream Cheese & Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- ½ cup buttermilk (or ½ cup of milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- salt & pepper & more lemon juice to taste
May being National (Organic) Salad Month, in 2020 it falls during a time when we’re all staying home more. So we challenged friends and fellow organic salad enthusiasts to develop extraordinary new salads based on relevant themes. In this #SaladSunday Challenge (The What Are You Binge-Watching Salad), our friend Chef Daniela Gerson created a spectacular salad board inspired by something many in our community have been binge-watching: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. 50s/60s NYC Diner Deli style…truly extraordinary. Take this one on for any Sunday and make it special…and especially delicious.
Preheat oven to 375 F. Toss bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil; season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss again, spreading cubes out in a single layer. Bake until croutons are golden brown and crisp, about 15-20 minutes, tossing once halfway through cooking to brown all sides.
Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and add cold water to cover by 1″. Season with salt, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until fork-tender; about 15−20 minutes, then drain carefully and thinly slice into rounds.
Thinly slice red onion into rounds then submerge in a bowl of cold water. Let them sit for at least 10 minutes then drain.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-high. Add capers and cook, swirling pan occasionally, until capers burst and are crisp, about 5-7 minutes; transfer capers out of saucepan (the remaining caper oil can be poured over our croutons for extra flavor).
Thinly slice radishes with a mandolin or sharp knife
Shave cucumbers into ribbons with a veggie peeler.
Keep tomatoes whole if very small otherwise slice into rounds or cut into wedges.
Choose optional accoutrement such as pickles, olives and capers berries
Assemble all! Place a big bed of Earthbound Farm organic greens on a rimmed baking sheet, and add your pastrami, salmon and all the rest of the ingredients you’ve prepped.
Top with fresh herbs, freshly cracked black pepper and flaky sea salt.
To make your buttermilk: stir the milk and lemon juice together and let the mixture stand at room temp for 10 minutes.
Whisk the buttermilk together with all the rest of the dressing ingredients. Season to taste with salt, pepper and more lemon juice if necessary. Chill at least 20 minutes before serving.