Stuffed Avocado Salad with Chipotle Vinaigrette
Active Time: 30 minutes • Total Time: 5 minutes
Yields: 8 Servings
- CHIPOTLE VINAIGRETTE:
- 1 cup + 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 clove organic garlic
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon chopped organic cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup organic cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Frozen Sweet Corn, thawed
- 1 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Frozen Green Peas, thawed
- 1 cup chopped cucumbers
- ½ organic red onion
- 1 pound fresh watercress, stemmed
- 4 ripe organic avocados
- ½ cup hemp seeds
This refreshing salad is fun to make, and the vinaigrette is delicious and full of authentic smoky flavor; it’s wonderful drizzled over grilled vegetables and rice & beans, too.
Reprinted with permission from Vegan Holiday Cooking from Candle Cafe by Joy Pierson, Angel Ramos & Jorge Pineda (Ten Speed Press, © 2014). Photo Credit: Jim Franco.
To make the vinaigrette, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the shallots and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
Combine the shallots, the remaining 1 cup of oil, the lime juice, water, garlic, vinegar, chipotle powder, smoked paprika and salt in a blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the cilantro and oregano.
To prepare the salad, combine the tomato, corn, peas, cucumber and red onion in a large bowl. Add enough vinaigrette to lightly coat the vegetables and gently toss together.
Arrange the watercress on salad plates and top with the avocado halves. Scoop the vegetable mixture into the center of the avocados. Sprinkle each serving with hemp seeds and drizzle with more vinaigrette to taste.