Sheet pan chicken meatballs with charred broccoli
Active Time: 20 minutes • Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1/3 of pre-roasted Earthbound Farm Broccoli
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 2" piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- ⅓ cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon rice cooking wine or water
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 ½" piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Mix ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, wine (if using), honey, soy sauce, ginger, and pepper in a small saucepan. Measure out ¼ cup mixture into a small bowl; set aside for glazing meatballs later. Bring remaining mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally and reducing heat if needed, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Transfer sauce to a small bowl.
Meatballs and Assembly
Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 450°.
Mix chicken, egg, scallions, garlic, ginger, panko, sesame oil, pepper, remaining 1½ tsp. salt, and ¼ cup water in a medium bowl. Using wet hands, form into twelve 1½”-diameter meatballs. Arrange on baking sheet; brush with some of the reserved glazing mixture. Bake until meatballs are cooked through, 14–18 minutes. Remove from oven; heat broiler. Brush meatballs with remaining glazing mixture and cook for another 5 minutes; put cooked broccoli on a small baking sheet and add to oven while to reheat while the meatballs are finishing.
Spoon meatballs and broccoli over rice in bowl. Drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.