Organic Harvest Salad with Butternut Squash and Cauliflower
Active Time: 10 minutes • Total Time: 45 minutes
Yields: 4 Servings
- 1/2 Head Earthbound Farm Organic Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 Cups Earthbound Farm Organic Frozen Butternut Squash
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon Aleppo Pepper (or crushed red pepper flakes)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 Medjool Dates, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Whole Pecans, toasted
- 1/4 Cup Sherry Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Generous Handfulls Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Spinach & Spring Mix
- 1/2 Tart Organic Apple, thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup Shaved Parmesan
This salad, which pairs beautifully with chicken or pork, celebrates the very best of fall and winter flavors. Not a fan of butternut squash? You can easily substitute jewel or garnet yams. This recipe calls for sherry vinegar, which adds complexity and tones down the sweetness of the dates, but you can substitute any vinegar. Likewise, if you don’t have dates, substitute dried figs, cranberries, or even raisins.
Preheat oven to 425°. Combine the first five ingredients (cauliflower to ground cumin) in a large bowl and toss. Turn out onto a parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, toss halfway through. When roasted to a golden brown, remove from the oven. Allow to cool.
Make the dressing by whisking together sherry vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, and garlic into a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Place the lettuce on a large platter and spread out. Add cooled cauliflower and butternut squash. Top with chopped dates. Snap toasted pecans with your fingers and distribute over the top of the salad. Garnish with apple slices and shaved Parmesan. Dress and serve immediately.