Organic Fattoush Salad with Riced Cauliflower
Active Time: 10 minutes • Total Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 4 Servings
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 3.5 cups Earthbound Farm Organic Riced Cauliflower
- 2 Whole Wheat Pita, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1.5 teaspoons Sumac
- 2 handfuls Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Spinach & Spring Mix
- 1/2 Earthbound Farm Organic Cucumber, peeled and quartered
- 1 pint Earthbound Farm Organic Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 2 Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil, torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup Fresh Mint, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup Fresh Italian Parsley, torn into pieces
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 Lemon (large), juiced
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled (garnish)
- Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
Fattoush, or toasted flatbread salad, usually gets its texture from a mix of cucumbers and toasted pita. Here, we dial back the pita and add in roasted Earthbound Farm Organic Riced Cauliflower for additional crunch. Adding feta is also an untraditional, but delicious, addition. The method for toasting the pita comes from Yottom Ottolenghi’s cookbook Jerusalem. The recipe calls for sumac, a tangy, slightly lemony spice. You can substitute lemon zest but it’s worth picking up the spice—you’ll soon find yourself putting it on avocados, bagels with cream cheese, and a million other things. *For a gluten-free option, simply omit the pita.
Preheat oven to 425°. In a medium bowl, toss riced cauliflower with 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Turn out onto a parchment paper–lined baking sheet and spread out to ensure even browning. Bake for 30 minutes, or until dark golden brown and crispy.
Meanwhile, toast the pita by heating 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add pita and stir constantly until the pita browns and begins to char on the edges, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and sumac. Remove from heat and cool.
Place Earthbound Farm Spinach & Spring Mix, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, green onions, and fresh herbs in a large salad bowl. Toss gently to distribute evenly.
Make the dressing by whisking garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice together and season with salt and pepper.
Add cooled riced cauliflower and toasted pita to the salad and toss liberally with dressing. Garnish with feta and serve.