Mixed Rainbow Chard with Tomatoes and Garbanzo Beans
Active Time: 10 minutes • Total Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 8 Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced Earthbound Farm Organic Yellow Onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped Earthbound Farm Organic Garlic
- 1 package Earthbound Farm Frozen Organic Rainbow Chard Blend
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 can garbanzo beans, AKA chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- grated Parmesan cheese
Here’s a versatile dish that’s easy to pull together from your pantry and freezer whenever you’ve got a taste for some deeply satisfying veggies.
Any day of the week, this savory mixture of earthy greens, juicy tomatoes and tender garbanzos makes a succulent accompaniment to simple roasted meats, especially chicken or pork.
On a Meatless Monday, serve it over pasta or rice (we love it with nutty brown rice or a long grain & wild rice combo) for a standout vegetarian main dish for 2.
And on the weekend, topped with a sunny-side up egg, it’s an unusual and delicious “hash” for breakfast or brunch. Delish!
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion begins to get translucent, about 5 minutes. (Careful — don’t burn the garlic!)
Reduce the heat to medium and add the tomatoes, frozen Mixed Rainbow Chard and lemon juice. Cook until the chard is tender, stirring frequently (about 10 minutes).
Add the chickpeas, paprika, water, salt and pepper. Simmer about 5 minutes more to heat through.
Serve hot, topped with Parmesan cheese, if desired.