Kale and Feta Burgers
Active Time: 30 minutes • Total Time: 2 hour and 30 minutes
Yields: 6 burgers
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 fire roasted red pepper, from a jar, diced
- 2 packed cups Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Kale, chopped into small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- FOR SERVING
- 6 brioche burger buns
- 3 fire roasted red peppers, from a jar, sliced in half lengthwise (or long strips)
- Handful of Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Kale and Earthbound Farm Organic Broccoli Slaw
- HUMMUS YOGURT SAUCE
- 1/2 cup your favourite store bought (or homemade) hummus
- 1/3 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
Dig into these juicy and delicious Turkey Burgers packed with organic kale for a fun twist on burger night! Serve with Green Beans with Dill, Lemon and Dijon Dressing or top with Broccoli Slaw with Cider Dressing. Recipes by Zimmy’s Nook
In a small bowl, stir together the hummus, yogurt, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Taste and add more lemon juice or hot sauce if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, then salt and cook until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the kale and diced red pepper, cover and cook until wilted, about 2-4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool.
While the kale cools, in a large bowl, mix together the garlic, Dijon, dill, pepper, feta, then add the kale mixture and panko breadcrumbs, mix to combine. Add the turkey and work the mixture through the meat.
Divide the mixture into 6 equal sized patties. (Approximately 6 1/4 ounces each)
Place a layer of waxed paper on a plate or tray and place the patties in one layer on the waxed paper. Cover with waxed paper, then foil or plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours. (I prefer cooking turkey burgers from frozen, so I make them a day or two ahead)
Preheat the grill on medium-high. Just before grilling, brush the burgers with a little olive oil on both sides (adds a nice char to a lean meat) Grill the patties until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
To serve, spread a layer of the hummus-yogurt sauce, add a layer of kale, then red peppers, the patty and a spoonful of the slaw. Put the burger top on and enjoy!