Herb Salad with Fennel and Celery
Active Time: 20 minutes • Total Time: 0 minutes
Yields: 4 Servings
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon very finely minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon sambuca or Pernod
- 5 ounce Earthbound Farm Organic Herb Salad or Spring Mix
- 1 cup Italian parsley
- 1 cup celery leaves
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 cup very thinly sliced Earthbound Farm Organic Celery
- Freshly ground black pepper
For a refreshing springtime salad with a lovely aroma and satisfying crunch, this combination of tender baby lettuces, fresh herbs, thinly sliced fennel and celery is dynamite.
The whole parsley and celery leaves give this salad a clean, bright taste, so don’t skimp!
To amplify the very subtle licorice flavor of the fennel, our dressing uses both ground fennel seeds and a splash of Sambuca, but these are optional if a more forward licorice flavor isn’t your thing.
To make the dressing: Place the oil, lemon juice, shallot, salt, fennel and Sambuca (if using) in a small glass jar and seal the lid tightly. Shake the jar vigorously to combine.
Place the salad greens in a large bowl and add the parsley and celery leaves. Add half of the dressing and toss to coat the greens. Add the fennel and celery slices, then top with several grinds of pepper. Drizzle with more of the dressing, then toss again. Divide among 4 salad plates and serve immediately.