Green Vegetable and Walnut Miso Soup with Soba Noodles
Prep time: 5 minutes • Cook time: 25 minutes
Yields: 6 Servings
- 3/4 cup raw walnuts
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/4 can dried wake seaweed, roughly chopped
- 1 inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped into matchsticks
- 2 inches square dried combo seaweed
- 4 cups broccoli, cut into bite sized florets
- 3 cups Earthbound Farm Baby Kale
- 1/2 can snow peas
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon White wine vinegar
- 12 ounces dried buckwheat soba noodles, cooked
- 3 cups shiitake mushrooms, fresh or frozen, sliced thin
We love this umami bomb of a recipe from Alexandra at In My Bowl
A healthful dose of winter staving umami, this Green Vegetable and Walnut Miso Soup has quickly been a household staple. Made with a very simple, mineral rich, and immune boosting wakame and kombu seaweed broth, dutifully spiked with undertones of ginger and a deeply savory walnut and white miso paste, we take our bowls to the next level with mountainous piles of buckwheat soba noodles, broccoli and snap peas, and a heaping handful of Earthbound Farm’s tender baby kale leaves.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment and toast walnuts for 5 minutes, or until fragrant and just golden. Set aside and allow to cool.
Meanwhile, in a large dutch oven or heavy pot, bring vegetable broth, water, scallions, wakame, ginger, and kombu to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Discard kombu and remove pot from heat.
Stir in broccoli, mushrooms, kale, and snow peas. Set soup aside.
Meanwhile, in a high speed blender or food processor fitted with an S-blade pulse toasted walnuts until they resemble a coast bread crumb. Add miso, honey, tamari, and vinegar and continue to pulse until well combined.
To serve: Place about 1 cup cooked soba noodles on the bottom of a large bowl. Top with about 2 cups soup and 1 tablespoon walnut miso mixture. Garnish with extra walnuts and scallions if desired. Stir everything together, serve and enjoy!