Green Bean Casserole
Active Time: 25 minutes • Total Time: 25-30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds Earthbound Farm Organic Green Beans, trimmed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced in ¼ inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 – 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves roughly chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- fried onions (store bought or homemade), for garnishing
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Recipe from Homemade
In a large skillet over high heat, melt the butter. Once the butter is melted and slightly browned, about 4 minutes, add the green beans and a couple pinches of salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the green beans begin to blister and turn brown. Transfer to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
To make Mushroom Sauce: Return the skillet to medium high heat and add the butter. Once the butter is melted add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme leaves and cook for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully pour in the broth and heavy cream and lower the heat to medium. Stir to combine and cook until the sauce has thickened, about 7 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the sauce over the green beans and garnish with the fried onions.