Flavors of Morocco-Inspired Spinach Salad
Active Time: 15 minutes • Total Time: 80 minutes
Yields: Serves 4-6
- 1 5 oz container Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Spinach
- 1 lb carrots, peeled + chopped
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas, drained + dried with a kitchen towel
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2¾ teaspoons ras el hanout spice blend, divided
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 pitted dates, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup couscous
- ½ cup mint leaves, chopped
- ½ medium red onion, sliced
- 1 medium orange, peeled + segmented
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios, chopped
- ⅓ cup pitted olives
A few familiar ingredients are transformed by novel combination and a little ras el-hanout into a dreamy Morocco-inspired salad that is slightly sweet, slightly spicy, and wonderfully satisfying.
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. On a baking sheet, combine the carrots, chickpeas, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 2 teaspoons of ras el hanout, salt, and pepper. Toss to thoroughly coat in the oil and spices. Spread everything out into a single layer and place in the oven. Roast for 1 hour, or until carrots are just-tender and slightly golden.
Make the dressing. Extract the dates from the water, reserving leftover soaking liquid. In an upright blender, combine the soaked dates, lemon juice, remaining ras el hanout, Dijon, and 3 tablespoons of the date soaking water. Blend the mixture on high until creamy. Set aside.
Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove the saucepan from the stove and stir in the couscous and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and cover. Let it rest for 5 minutes. When the time is up, fluff the couscous with a fork and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the baby spinach, mint, and red onion. Pour ¾ of the dressing over the salad, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Then, arrange the roasted carrots and chickpeas, orange segments, pistachios, and olives on top of the salad. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the top of the salad. Serve immediately!