Flatbread Spinach and Arugula Salad with Pesto, Asparagus and Mushrooms
Active Time: 15 minutes • Total Time: 5 minutes
Yields: 2 Servings
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, virgin & unrefined
- 1 1/2 cups cremini mushrooms, stems removed & sliced
- 2 pieces Naan or flatbread
- 1/4 cup your favorite pesto
- 1 cup shaved asparagus, loosely packed with leftover stem sliced thin, stem tips in tact
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, quartered
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Spinach and Baby Arugula
- 2 handfuls, sliced Earthbound Farm Organic Cherry Tomatoes
- balsamic vinegar for drizzling
Traci at Vanilla and Bean makes flatbread her canvas for this sassy, seasonal, veggie-packed entree salad. The only rule for this all-in-one meal is ensuring you have a substantial pile of nourishing greens on top, like our organic baby spinach and baby arugula so it’s mostly salad with a little bit of flatbread crunch. Prep is quick with pantry staples, supplemented with a few fresh ingredients, which makes it an easy, delicious and satisfying meal for any day of the week.
Set a oven rack on the highest position in the oven. Slide in a sheet pan, pizza stone or cast iron skillet and peheat oven to 550F.
Heat oil in saute pan until shimmering. Add the mushrooms and stir only occasionally for five minutes. We want the mushrooms to sear as this will bring out their flavor. Remove from heat and set aside.
To build the pizza, place each piece of Naan on a sheet of parchment paper. Dividing the ingredients between the two pizzas, spread the pesto over the flatbread, almost to the edges. Layer the asparagus, mushrooms, kalamata olives, a pinch of red pepper and oregano, mozzarella and a few pieces of feta (save some feta for the top later).
Remove the pan from the oven and carefully transfer the pizza to the pan. If using a cast iron skillet, you’ll need to bake one at a time. Bake on the top wrack for five minutes. Remove from oven and transfer pizza to a cutting board. Place a generous hand full of salad mix on top of the pizza, add a bit of feta, a few sliced tomatoes, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Slice with a pizza wheel and serve immediately.
Serve with sea salt and red pepper flakes.