Deconstructed Wasabi Chicken Salad with Little Gems
Active Time: 30 minutes • Total Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or aioli
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons wasabi powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large Asian pear, halved, cored, and thinly sliced)
- 3 large carrots, peeled then grated or shaved
- 2 Persian cucumbers, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into half moons
- 4 scallions, white and tender part of greens thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen edamame, thawed
- 1 6 oz package of Earthbound Farm Organic Sweet & Crisp Little Gem Lettuce Leaves
- 1/2 cup wasabi peas, coarsely chopped
This beautiful and bold deconstructed salad built on a bed of lovely Little Gems is sweet, crunchy, and packs a punch with a double hit of wasabi.
Note: This recipe provides instructions for cooking the chicken breasts, but if you happen to have 1 1/2 pounds of cooked chicken on hand, the salad comes together a bit more quickly.
If using uncooked chicken breasts, put them in a large sauce pan, cover them with water and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook over moderately low heat until the chicken is white throughout, about 12 minutes. Transfer the poached chicken breasts to a plate and let stand until cooled slightly, about 10 minutes. Slice in to bite-sized pieces. If you have cooked chicken on hand, then simple cut into bite-sized pieces.
Meanwhile, put the mayonnaise, rice vinegar, wasabi powder, sesame oil, water, and salt and pepper to taste in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake vigorously until well combined and fully emulsified.
For a deconstructed presentation, on a large platter, place the pear, carrots, scallions, cucumber, edamame, chicken, and Little Gems in ribbons across the platter. Put the chopped peas in a small bowl and the jar of dressing near the platter and invite your eaters to compose the salad they want.
To make a more traditional salad, place the Little Gems in a large serving bowl and drizzle with a small amount of dressing. Add the Asian pear slices, cucumber, scallions, carrots, edamame and toss. Then add dressing slowly to the amount desired and toss again. Sprinkle with the chopped wasabi peas and serve.