Chopped Garden Salad in a Jar with Buttermilk-Blue Cheese Dressing
Active Time: 15 minutes • Total Time: 0 minutes
Yields: 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon Snipped fresh chives
- 1 clove Earthbound Farm Organic Garlic
- 0.25 cup mayonnaise
- 0.25 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 0.33 cup buttermilk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 14 ounce Earthbound Farm Organic Hearts of Romaine
- 0.5 cup fresh sweet peas
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 0.5 cup diced Earthbound Farm Organic Zucchini
- 0.5 cup diced Earthbound Farm Organic Carrots
- 1 cup diced ripe Earthbound Farm Organic Tomato
- 0.5 cup diced Earthbound Farm Organic Cucumber
- 0.5 cup diced radish
- 0.5 cup diced yellow summer squash
- 2 cup cooked wheat berries (or farro, quinoa or your favorite whole grain)
Chopped vegetable salads were all the rage a few decades back, and now they’re trendy again. Once you discover how delicious and versatile this salad is, you’ll wonder why it ever went out of style! Every bite gives you a tasty selection of flavors, colors and textures. What’s more, it’s especially perfect as a hearty, jarred salad for when you’re on the go. Use whatever vegetables you like; just make sure to cut everything about the same size. Then layer the colorful ingredients in a quart jar, screw on the lid and you’re ready to seize the day.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
Take a quart jar and add the dressing first, drizzling about 2-4 Tbsp of dressing into the bottom of the jar. Then, in order, layer in about 1/4 of the recipe measure of: diced tomato, carrots, zucchini, wheat berries, squash, peas, radishes, cucumber and corn
Top with greens (it’s okay to pack them tight) and secure the lid tightly onto the jar.
Be sure to refrigerate your salad in a jar immediately, and keep it cold until you eat it for food safety.
When you’re ready to eat, unscrew the lid and shake the salad into a bowl. The shaking conveniently tosses the salad, too (but you can fluff it to perfection wtih your fork if needed). Enjoy!