Cauliflower & Mushroom Bolognese
Active Time: 20 minutes • Total Time: 75 minutes
Yields: 6 Servings
- 1 lb pasta, we’re using rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1/4th teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4th teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4th teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4th cup tomato pasta
- 3.5 oz shiitake mushrooms, finely minced/chopped
- 3 cups cremini or button mushrooms, finely minced/chopped
- 2 cups Earthbound Farm Organic Cauliflower Florets, finely minced/ chopped
- 1/4th cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic
- 1 28oz can of whole peeled tomatoes hand crushed with juice
- 1 parmesan rind (optional)
- 1/2 cup pasta water and more adjust if needed
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- chopped parsley, squeeze of lemon juice, lemon zest to finish
- salt and pepper to taste
This cauliflower & mushroom bolognese by Lindsey Eats is the vegetarian main you need in your life! Minced organic cauliflower and mushrooms are cooked in wine, spices & tomatoes. Then tossed over rigatoni with parmesan, pasta water, a squeeze of lemon juice and a little bit of zest, to create the most luscious, delicious (vegetarian!) inspired bolognese.
In a food processor, or by hand, chop and mince mushrooms and cauliflower. Set aside. In a heated skillet, drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil and melt 1 tablespoon butter until glistening. Add in onions and carrots and sweat out for 5-6 minutes until softened and sautéed and slightly browning. Season with salt, pepper, add in your garlic as well as your sage, basil and red pepper flakes. Mix well until bloomed. 1-2 minutes.Add in tomato paste and allow that to reduce down another 5-6 minutes.
Next, add your minced mushrooms and cauliflower with your red wine and balsamic to reduce down. Add in your peeled tomatoes and juice with a parmesan rind. Mix until all combined. Simmer on medium low to low for about 1-3 hours until everything is soft (the longer you simmer, the more flavor), reduced and flavorful! It should have some liquid, but should be thickened and everything should have loads of flavor. Adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
When the bolognese in ready, cook pasta according to the package instructions, season with salt when boiling.
Toss your pasta in the bolognese with pasta water. At this point, you can also add another tablespoon or two of butter. Add in shredded parmesan. Off heat, top off with chopped parsley, lemon squeeze, zest and serve!