Active Time: 15 minutes • Total Time: 45-60 minutes
- 3 – 9 ounce packages Earthbound Farm Organic Cauliflower Florets or 1 (3-pound) head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ - 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ cup freshly grated Gruyere, divided
- ½ cup freshly grated Fontina, divided
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- chives, finely chopped, for garnish
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Recipe from Homemade
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9 inch by 13 inch casserole dish.
If you are using the cauliflower florets follow the instructions on the bag to microwave the cauliflower so that they are par-cooked. If you’re using a head of cauliflower, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a generous amount of salt followed by the florets and cook until they just get tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
In a medium pot on medium heat melt 3 tablespoons of butter then add the flour. Stirring constantly so that the flour doesn’t burn, cook for 3 or 4 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk, a quarter at a time, to prevent any lumps from forming. Once all the milk is added stir in the nutmeg and cayenne pepper (if using). Cook for 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened to nappe (it coats the back of a spoon).
Remove from the heat and stir in half of the gruyere, half of the fontina and half of the parmesan. Stir until the cheese is fully melted. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and stir until the florets are evenly coated in the sauce. Pour into the casserole dish. **This can be cooled, wrapped and refrigerated or frozen at this point to bake at a later date.
Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and stir it into the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the remaining gruyere, fontina and parmesan cheeses over the top of the gratin followed by the breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbling. Garnish with the chives and allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.