Active Time: 0 minutes • Total Time: 30-45 minutes minutes
Yields: 6 Servings
- 1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 5 fresh nectarines or peaches, frozen peaches
- 2 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, (packed)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Blueberries pair beautifully with stone fruits such as nectarines, peaches and apricots. This simple dessert goes together in minutes, with a crumble topping that’s healthier than the usual butter-based streusel.
Serve warm with a scoop of frozen vanilla yogurt or ice cream.
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
Place the blueberries and nectarines in a medium-size bowl. Add the cornstarch and brown sugar, and toss to coat the fruit. Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch square baking pan.
To make the topping, place the flour, oats, sunflower seeds, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and whisk to blend. Add the maple syrup and the oil, and stir to combine. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit in the baking pan, but don’t pack it down.
Bake the crisp until the juices bubble around the edges of the pan and the topping is brown and crisp, 30 to 45 minutes. Serve warm.
Note: If you use all frozen fruit, you may need to increase the cornstarch a bit to accommodate the extra moisture that the frozen peaches will release.