Best Autumn Salad
Active Time: 15 minutes • Total Time: 30 minutes
Yields: Serves: 4
- Ingredients for Roasted Squash:
- 1 -10 ounce bag frozen Earthbound Farm Frozen Organic Butternut Squash
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Ingredients for Salad:
- 1 -4 ounce package pancetta
- 1 -5 ounce clamshell Earthbound Farm Organic Power Greens
- 2 – 3 tablespoons pomegranate arils (seeds)
- 4 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds), toasted
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, broken into small chunks
- Ingredients for Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves, finely chopped plus more for garnish
- 3 – 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
For the Roasted Squash: preheat your oven to 425°F. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Pour the frozen butternut squash onto the sheet tray; add the thyme, cumin and salt and pepper. Drizzle the olive oil over the top and, using your hands, toss to coat everything.
Arrange the squash in a single layer, taking care to ensure the pieces are not touching each other (this will help to make sure they caramelize evenly). Roast on the middle rack, stirring halfway through, for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool at room temperature.
For the pancetta: Arrange the pancetta in a single layer in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Cook, rendering out the fat, for 4 minutes, then bring the heat up to medium high and crisp, approximately 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
For the apple cider vinaigrette: Pour the apple cider vinegar into a small jar with lid or bowl; add a generous pinch of salt and shake or whisk to combine. Taste- the acidity of the vinegar should be balanced a bit with sweet; adjust with more salt if needed. Add the Dijon mustard and olive oil, put the lid on the jar and shake vigorously (or whisk it well in the bowl). Taste again and adjust with more olive oil, salt or mustard, to taste. Add the freshly chopped mint right before dressing the salad (otherwise it will turn brown).
All together: Put the power greens in a large mixing bowl. Add the cooled butternut squash and pomegranate arils. Season well with salt and fresh ground black pepper (if desired) and toss to combine. Add half of the pepitas along with the pancetta and goat cheese; toss to combine.
Add a few tablespoons of the apple cider dressing and toss. It should be enough dressing to give the greens a shine but not to weigh it down. Garnish with a few more pepitas and torn mint leaves and serve.