Beef Barley Soup
Prep time: 30 minutes • Cook time: 45 minutes
Yields: 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoon organic canola or sunflower oil
- 1/2 pound stew beef
- 3/4 cup chopped Earthbound Farm Organic Yellow Onion
- 1/2 cup chopped Earthbound Farm Organic Carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped Earthbound Farm Organic Celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped Earthbound Farm Organic Garlic
- 6 cup vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cup Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Kale
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked barley
Beef and vegetables go together like cold weather and hot, hearty soup — and here’s a recipe that fits the combo perfectly. Baby kale and barley kick this soup into main-dish territory; with a loaf of crusty whole grain bread and a fresh, crispy salad alongside, it’s a satisfying meal that won’t let you down.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat in large, heavy soup pot. Add the beef and sauté till browned on all sides. Set aside on a plate while you cook the veggies.
Put the remaining oil in the pot and add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the veggies are soft.
Add the stock and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then add the beef, thyme and baby kale. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the barley and cook the soup till heated through. Serve hot.